Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Decorating for the Festive Season

Decorating for Christmas presents us with a conundrum of balance. As my design skills do not measure up to the dazzling skill of someone like Lard I find it a testing experience to work out what looks good and what looks… well… nasty.

Over the weekend Roland, Joan, Chell and I went to Bremen in Germany to visit the Christmas markets. There we experienced a true Christmas wonderland – Christmassy stalls tucked away in each and every crevice of the town centre. Sometimes the stalls were a bit off the wall, sometimes a bit clichéd but most of the stalls were nice little shops with nice little Christmas bits and bobs for sale.

So we came home Sunday and last night we decided to decorate - which is really early for me. I grew up in a house where decorations went up on Christmas eve and stayed up ‘til the twelfth night - I have nothing against that either, but this year it felt right to get them up now. We were feeling so Christmassy that we went out and bought some new lights and a tree. When we got home we put a few things up but ran out of time as we had friends coming over. It was a bit of a rush job – and we need to finish it off really soon.

I woke up this morning and had a look at what we had done…I couldn’t work out what I liked and what I didn’t like. Christmas decorations are a matter of personal taste – so what looks nice to me might repulse someone else. Having said that – I couldn’t even work out what I liked myself! However, I do have a few theories on what looks nice at Christmas (whether or not I manage to adhere to these remains to be seen):

1 – Greenery is good. Natural decoration is much better than shiny plastic. Use lots of evergreens and ivy (possibly holly too?)
2 – White lights not coloured lights – and lots of them too
3 – Themed decoration is a good idea – not too many colours
4 – No blow up Santas or ‘Santa - please stop here’ signage

I’d be interested to here your thoughts on this? More importantly I’d love to hear your ideas and tips on how to traditionally decorate your house for Christmas – especially as I have no idea how to make the clever stuff but would really like to!

God bless us, everyone...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only one metallic colour and an accent colour.

To be honest, Gold should be reserved only for red.

With other 'neo' Christmas colours (purple and frost blue) you should use silver.

Anonymous said...

well they stole my tips.

in brief:

Gold and Red
or
Purple and Silver
are very classy combos

ALWAYS white lights

you can't go wrong.

Anonymous said...

As someone who has seen your decorations I like them very much. I too have white lights literally everywhere in my lounge (maybe a little too much?!) but thought your choice was very classy.

Anonymous said...

Matt, just ask the DC - he's well into making that special Christmas statement with white lights and real trees.

US?, well with kids in the house who all have a opinion, our tree is bursting with stuff of sentimental vaue, but I too draw the line at tinsel, Santa stuff and we do have white lights.

Anonymous said...

I sort my Christmas cards into colour themes to match the rooms.

Trad in the lounge with the gold/cream decs on the tree and white/blue/silver in the hall with the while walls and silvery decs. I noticed a thing going on with black and white cards last year.

All this is v important as it helps you avoid less important christmas prep - like cleaning the kitchen.

Anonymous said...

And "yes" to plenty of greenery from the garden and the white lights thing too.

Kevins favourite Christmas saying "But you bought lights last year!"

Anonymous said...

We have the delightful conundrum of whether or not to actually decorate at all this year for Christmas as:

a) we're not around for much of Christmas (here, there and everywhere in the next couple of weeks then away for Christmas week), and
b) we're trying to sell the flippin' house!!!

We've decided no tree but a few classy bits here and there - and I'd largely agree with all my esteemed contributors above (maybe with the exception of the themed Christmas cards though...).

...'cos obviously I'm a style icon, innit...

Tim said...

I'd just like to clear up, for the record, that tinsel is definately 70's, not 80's.

A few other no no's would include but are not limited to: anything made of yarn, anything made of cups, the colour pink (or any shade therof), and any lights that would just as easily work in a disco. Sadly I've experienced each of the above items in some form or another this holiday season.

Unknown said...

Well, I have many things to say about this post. MANY.

Firstly, I was dying laughing at how serious you are taking this...even down to suggesting holly in brackets. That killed me. Too cute.

And secondly, I was dying laughing at the comments, particularly the male responses. Phil knows way too much about it all, and Tim said 'nothing made of cups', which made me think about decorations made of cups, which in itself is very funny.

Anyway, at work we're having a decoration competition for the best decorated floor. We're colour theme-ing it (orange and blue) which is our brand colours, and not at all christmasey (although maybe orange IS the new red?), but I think it might blag us the prize for cultural relevancy. haha...Phil has also had a LOT to do with that which is slightly worrying...

Matt Leeder said...

I do agree with you Tim - cups are a big no no. Although if they were a good idea then I've got the best decorated mug tree in Mashbury!

Mel - Holly is always a consideration. ;-)

Shawn said...

Good to see that we are all being considerate with our Christmas 'decs'. Just being married helps, my wife has good taste and knows what she is doing. We bought an artificial authentic looking green (with red berries) garland type thing that sits nicely on the mantelpiece! Supported by two beautiful glass object things with berries and greenery swirled around it with wax type stuff and a wick inside. All looking splendid. Our nativity is central to our Christmas things, we have no dangly things from the ceiling either. Keep it simple!

Anonymous said...

allora signor Matt - buon anno e tanti auguri per tutto cio' che succedera' nel 2007!!!
Un abbraccio forte