Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Pre-New Years Resolution

I realise it’s a bit early for this but I got to thinking about New Years resolutions. Recently I’ve realised I’m rubbish at committing to things. Here’s a few things I’ve tried to commit to in the past year but haven’t managed to keep up:

  • Sit ups
  • Getting to bed before 11pm
  • Press ups
  • Getting into work on time
  • Writing a song a week
  • Being selfless
  • Keeping my garden tidy
  • Practising guitar
  • Learning Italian
  • Not using the computer after 10:30 at night
  • Phoning Chell every day – especially when I’m away from home
  • Putting savings away
  • Phoning Will regularly to check up on him and be there if he needs any doctor advice

Seriously! Look at that list! And be assured - it goes on and on!

So I want and really genuinely need help in becoming more committed to things. Next year I will make the biggest commitment of my life and whilst that is not in the same scale as doing a few press ups or sit ups I need my wife-to-be to assured of the committed steadfast love I have for her now and for the rest of her life.

Hence I have already started thinking about New Years resolutions. You might hate them – I myself am not a fan, but I think that my bad memory would be aided by the exactness of the ‘start date’. I hold myself accountable much more successfully if I can connect a task to a date when it was set. However, I also figure that if I start trying to get into the swing of being a man of commitment now then who knows what I might achieve by Jan 1st?

I’ll keep thinking about those resolutions and record them on here as soon as I can.

6 comments:

Shawn said...

I think we need to be relaistic when it comes to New Year resolutions. We have so many ideas of what we should be doing and I think it is better to have one or two and stick to them and feel good about that and once they have become set in our lifestyle we can then look at another. It is also putting it in the diary and keeping them as an appointment if it is about going somewhere i.e. the gym etc. One big resolution that I keep is don't worry too much, laugh lots and be happy!

Will said...

Definitely agree with the diary thing (and the rest!).

I remember a very wise man once said "If you don't book it in - you book it out!"

He was right.

Anonymous said...

Matt - don't make the promises but do one new thing - I learnt to roller blade this year and next year it's line dancing!!!

Unknown said...

I have to say, I'm pretty excited about your future commitments.

You know what I'm not excited about though? That I'm not on your blogroll anymore. That's out of order mate. Commit to putting me back on there immediately!

dave wiggins said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dave wiggins said...

Hi Matt, what's the craic? i believe we may be hanging out on Saturday, if my friend Mel is to be believed. Looking forward to it ... if i make fun of the accent, just dig me.