Friday, April 20, 2007

"Temple of the Sun"

Currently I am trying to make a website for work. It's proving a bit of a nightmare and is testing my memory to the limits with regard to the stuff I learnt on my uni course. I did a BSc in software engineering which I finished about 6 years ago - and it certainly feels like a long time ago now. Everything I learnt about object oriented programming and WYSIWYG user interfaces is now but a mere blip in the back of my head. So now this new conundrum is testing me.

Yesterday I spent hours trying to figure out a solution. I browsed hundreds of web sites and forums and phoned a few friends but still to no avail. However, after yesterday's weirdest thing EVER I feel that today could be the day of the naffest game EVER! Upon browsing the Sun Microsystems website (yes I really was that desperate!) I discovered that those crazy chaps had developed a platform game in which you can, and I quote: "Put your C/C++ coding skills to the test". I realised that I did in fact study C++ at uni and clicked to play the game...

The premise of 'Temple of the Sun' (i.e. Sun Microsystems) is that you're an adventurer (Indiana Jones type) who discovers this ancient 'Developers' temple. You have to collect gold coins and jump around missing arrows but the most amazing part of this game is that every so often you are posed with a C++ coding problem which you need to 'debug' before you can continue! Seriously, who thinks up this stuff!? But maybe that's not the most worrying thing - of course I didn't play for long (of course - I wasn't really totally addicted), but the first three debugging screens I came across I got the answer right first time! Whoop! Maybe being a musician isn't my calling after all?

2 comments:

Glyn Harries said...

Man I am the king of Temple of the Sun. I found out all about integers and IQs and infintite loops. I'm gonna design me one of them computernet thingys.

Timmy Magic said...

I never knew you were a computer geek!
Your cool persona obviously hides the fact as well as mine does...