Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Eden

Yesterday I woke up. Not amazing I know - but it was a bizarre start to the day given what happened afterwards. Everyday I wake up to the Chris Moyles show, and yesterday was comedy Dave's birthday. Because it was his birthday he chose the first track to be played...the track he chose? Rock and Roll Star - by Oasis. The opening song from their album Definitely Maybe.

So later on I travelled down to London with my friend Chris Spring (who I have blogged about before) because he asked JM, Levski and myself to play for him in the studio - recording a new track he's written called It Don't Offend Me. The studio is called Eden Studios and is in West London - that is where I'm sitting as I type this. This place has been responsible for tons of cool recordings but it hadn't dawned on me that this is where Oasis recorded Definitely Maybe! Now that might not be very important for many other people but for me, a true inheritor (sp?) of the 90s I loved it! Awesome! Here's a quick piccy of the studio with Chris sitting there recording some acoustic guitar...
















So, yeah...like I say...tons of cool recordings.

All cool, except for one...

One album which just so happens to be amongst my least favourite albums of all time!

(Sorry, I've slipped into a Rob Bell writing style...I'll pull it back...)

One album that in the mid 90s I tried and tried to listen to. You see I wanted to enjoy it. Some of my friends were raving about it. "Have you heard this album?" they'd say. "It's the best thing since the Las" they'd say. And I would listen, and I would squirm, and I would most definitely NOT enjoy.

The album in question? CAST - ALL CHANGE

I'm sorry, but I simply can't see what was ever good about this album. Does anyone have it? Does anyone still listen to it? If you were involved in making it, I am sorry for offending you, but I just can't see the attraction.

So clearly any decent studio has it's duffers. And I'm just getting that off my chest after all these years.

Anyways, back to the waiting game. We're waiting around for a hired guitar to be delivered... as you can probably tell by the length of this blog I've got some time on my hands...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes it does look very cool but what on earth is that rug doing in the middle of the floor??

Anonymous said...

Sorry wasn't trying to be anonymous - Stef

Chell said...

Hey there. You missed out the best part of you being at Eden...you played table tennis with the guy that wrote 'Pure and Simple' (Hear Say Hit)!!!! Since you told me that I haven't been able to get it out of my head...for anyone that reads this...i bet you are singing it all day now....hahahahahaha!!!

Andy said...

Been meaning to say this before - I'm glad someone else can't see the point in that album. I could never quite get it. 'Fine Time' apart they never reached anything better than mediocrity!

And don't get me started on Ocean Colour Scene...

Anonymous said...

Setting aside for a second that the Ocean Colour Scene comment was just down-right idiotic. I happen to think Cast and All Change are both actually quite fantastic and I still listen to it now, often while on the bus. I wouldn't by any means begin to say that the album is the greatest album ever written, or even just from the 90's. But it is a great album, none-the-less. Still everyone to their own, unless you don't like OCS, idiot.

Moseley Shoals. Masterpiece.

Just stopping by to steal the picture for Definitely Maybe and felt compelled to write a little something.

Bye.