Thursday, May 11, 2006

Top 10 songwriters (currently)

I had a really good evening this evening - in fact it's a shame it's over now come to think of it...

A friend of mine by the name of Chris Spring came to visit me. Now, many people do know Chris, but if you don't know him be aware that he's quite an imposing personality. It's highly likely that, should you find yourself in the same room as Chris, that you will get to know him fairly soon. But aside from being a thoroughly good bloke he is also a fab songwriter. I would go as far as to say that if Q (the magazine not the James Bond character) phoned me up tomorrow and asked me to pull together my Top 10 Heroes of Songwriting then Chris would definitely be in there!*

Anyway, we spent the evening hanging out tonight. We ate pasta al fresco (!) chatted about God and church and stuff... then went inside to play a few of our 'in-the-pipeline' numbers to each other.

It was really cool. I really wanted to promo Chris to you guys who visit my blog...the next week holds a really promising showcase gig for Chris. There's gonna be industry there to watch him and maybe, hopefully, offer him a deal. I've got total faith that he's going to make it. He's just the kind of man I'd want to be in the mainstream spotlight - a Christian guy who won't waver under pressure. I'm looking forward to the rise of Chris Spring. (Check www.chrisspring.com for more info on him)

Anyway, that's enough advertising for one blog. I shall return and on my return I hope to say something much more controversial / enlightening...like wibble.

Also, I have made it my personal quest to try and get back into Phil Laeger's 'Friends who blog' link list - I noticed that I've been removed...it has been noted Phil. I am most upset. :-( Massage my ego would you, there's a good fellow...

* My choice for the other nine heroes of songwriting currently might be these (though this list is liable to change....a lot)
- Rufus Wainwright
- Ben Folds
- Neil Hannon
- Paul McCartney
- Badly Drawn Boy
- Neil Finn (Crowded house)
- Crispin Hunt(Longpigs)
- Damon Albarn
- Corinne Bailey Rae

8 comments:

Tim said...

Can I just say that, as good as your taste in music is, your taste in films is quite brutal! : )

Tim said...

Ok, on a serious note, your friend is really good. I haven't listened to the others, but Skinny Water is a great tune. His voice reminds a little of Keane. Good stuff!

Matt Leeder said...

Hmm, yeah - I really should expand that 'Fav Films' list...good point...

Anonymous said...

Matt, Andy Hill here. Listening to the album I've been trying to convince people that the arrangement of 'Take Broken Me' has a touch of Divine Comedy to it.

They've been looking at me funny. Tell 'em Matt, tell 'em...

Phil said...

Loving the new album, Matt. Take Broken Me is on repeat at the mo.

Oh, and welcome back to the blogosphere. :) (Massage, massage.)

Glyn Harries said...

Andy that was the worst anonymous comment I've ever seen.

Phil said...

oh, by the way, i'm offended i didn't make the list.

Matt Leeder said...

Don't worry mate - as I said..this list changes all the time! You know I love your stuff! I probably didn't listen to your album the day I wrote that blog that's all...

You big old softy! ;-)