Monday, June 26, 2006

Spiritual home; where are yooooou?

Chell and I are asking a lot of questions regarding church at the moment; more specifically which church should we go to?

Yesterday we attended the Oasis church in Chelmsford, part of the New Frontiers church network. We’ve been to Oasis once before and both times we’ve found it to be a really friendly church experience…which was helped on our first visit because we had friends there in the congregation. Yesterday was slightly different because we didn’t know as many people – but still, the reception we received was warm and the church meeting was cool. The speaker (church leader, Phil) spoke on their mission as a church. He referred to Acts 1 where Jesus says ‘you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and to the ends of the earth’ and related this to local, cross-cultural, and long-distance (missionary type) mission.

We left the meeting happy – but still keen to hear God more; especially with regard to where he wants us to be!?

So, the day continued and we found ourselves at Chelmsford Citadel Salvation Army where we sat down with the corps to watch the football – followed by which Matt (White) led the meeting – with a special focus on the youth of the corps. I know its passé but it really is amazing how much more passionate everyone was about the football! If I was to speak bluntly and impartially I would say that it even appears that nobody really believes that strongly in God at all (obviously I’m sure this isn’t the case – it’s just how it comes across).

After that we packed up and went to Carus. Carus is a tiny little congregation that meets once a month (which you’re welcome to come along to by the way – then it won’t be so tiny) – we sing songs and talk about God. Last night was different because we prayed for each other too! ;-) Ok, so it’s fledgling; and it’s tiny; and it’s designed and run by Matt and myself (so I’d always look for the best in it) but last night was cool – we sang to God, he met with us, we all had a chat, and a drink then we came home.

So that was the day – and we’re still searching. I’ll leave you with a few questions – as well as my up-til-now conclusions; but please feel free to chip in some wisdom…we need it!

Q1: Should we go to Oasis? We could do – it’s a nice place but… we both feel (probably more myself than Chell) that our place is in The Salvation Army; especially when most of the worship leading I do is in an ‘Army’ context. I believe it is my responsibility to stick with it. After all, 90% of the time I still believe that God has a plan for the SA all the time. :-)

Q2: Should we go to Chelmsford Citadel? It will be hard work, I’m sure of that. But it’s local and it’s the Salvation Army, and lots of our friends go there…

Q3: Should we start our own church? Or ask if we can plant a new congregation within Chelmsford Cit? Or move and spend our lives church hopping – trying every week to find the perfect church, and every other week discovering that it doesn’t exist?

Q4: Should we say stuff it all – come out of the church (not God, just the church - it never really works anyway does it?) We’ll both move to Italy where we will renovate dilapidated property and grow olives and grapes for the rest of our lives.

12 comments:

Kevin Snyder said...

Maybe mix 2 and 3 and stick with the Army. The great writer, and pastor Jim Cymbala was preaching to about 800 of us Salvationists in NYC one day and said something to the effect of, your past was great, your present is doing ok, but your future can be amazing, God is not done with the Army until he says so, so get back to work!

The Army has some issues and needs many things to change or inprove, but if those of us with a vision of what the Army can be just keep leaving to find somthing better, who will change it? We are the generation that can change things, God has given us freedom to do a new thing, thats a calling, maybe we need to step up and start doing it!

Ks

Glyn Harries said...

You could try Enfield?

Enfield's nice.

We have new seats.

BrownEyedGirl said...

You don't know me but i tend to go for the hardest...the road less traveled...the place your heart wants to avoid and God wants to heal.

Anonymous said...

ps just remember that because your freinds may go one place doesn't nessisarilly make it the right place for you...

Hoylus said...

Hey Matt,

Which one do you like most?

Will said...

Maybe anonymous is one of your friends and they don't really like you?

A harsh start perhaps.

Good words of advice all round - you have some good mates. You know enough about how church and the army should be and you're both gifted and realistic . I say stick with the army but plant - maybe from an existing corps like you say.

Carus still sounds very cool - so why is it still so small?

Rome is lovely - good ice cream.

Glyn Harries said...

Lovely new seats...?

Glyn Harries said...

Well they're red but with black backs. So when you're looking at them from the front you can see row upon row of lovely red seats but when you walk in from the back, you are confronted by a sea of black.

I'm currently planning a tournament of giant chair Othello one Sunday evening if anyone's interested.

Anonymous said...

Well, it's one thing the youth leadership could lead to appease the Sunday night planning group...

(Joke, in case any of them read this!)

Heather's place said...

From a purely selfish (if selfishness can be pure?) point of view, and since you asked, I’d say stick with the Army.
I hate it when the people who are serious about this whole Jesus thing go off and join another Church. And they generally join a Church that has plenty of people like them already!
(Mmm…think I’m sounding more “bitter” than “wise”.)
Anyway, I just feel we need people like you more than they do.
But I also understand the frustration that drives people away from dry and let’s face it, what can be at times, down-right boring expressions of Church. But you can always pop in somewhere else every now and then for a holy pick-me-up.
But as I say, that’s my selfish view.
What you need is God’s view.
So to be religious for a moment I’d point you to Romans 12:2 which talks about finding out what God’s will is. (Like the way the NLT puts it).
The football comment is relevant to something that’s been on my mind so I’ve posted over at my place.
Anyway – will pray that you both get some clarity.

Matt Leeder said...

I must say thank you all for your nice comments - loads of food for thought in there! It's really helpful - thanks!

The Smiths said...

Mashbury Congress Hall is even more local! You know it makes sense!!!!

Seriously though this is a tricky one - I was gutted for you the night you tried to "raise the dead" when leading worship. Saying that, Chelmsford SA has been our spiritual home since just after we were married. It's already changed a lot, but it needs people like you 2 and the Whites to continue its transition from tradition to more Christ-centred. The Army needs people like you and Chell, Matt & Christina to challenge the older generations (I'm rapidly heading that way myself) and to support the emerging generation that will not blindly accept tradition like I (sadly) did 20 odd years ago when I was 16.

I understand our new leaders, Alan & Linda, are brilliant so I'd give it a go with them before you Church hop somewhere else. You only get out of Church what you put in - you've got loads to put in, so I'm sure if you do, you'll get loads out too. Take care - time to do a Sunday lunch again soon? G