Thursday, June 29, 2006

Ben Folds' message to the church

Although it is in my collection I haven't really listened very much to the newest Ben Folds album 'Songs for Silverman'. When I have listened to it a song entitled 'Jesusland' has caught my attention a couple of times...

Today I discovered an interview with Ben Folds in which he explains a little bit of his thinking behind 'Jesusland':

'...but you see the name 'Jesusland' and you think “wow, this is going to be a heavy song” but it’s just a little bit sad. The crux of it is that if Jesus were around now he wouldn’t have much stuff. And that’s a problem in today’s ‘amusement park’ version of Jesusland; you can’t walk around with no stuff, or you’re homeless, you’re walking around on the street. So he’d be walking around homeless on the street with long hair, and I don’t really think that the people that make lots of money off of his name would do much to help him.'

Ouch!

No comments: