Saturday, January 27, 2007

'Pre-New Years Resolutions' - Revisited

On December 7th last year I blogged about my apparent inability to stick at things. Well, if anything I have continued to think about that blog a lot, and try to improve, so in one way at least I am gradually getting better at pushing through. I have started a lot of new things this year already. I wouldn't say they're new years resolutions but...well, I don't know what else they could be...

I bought a book from TESCO about study skills. It was actually a book for people still at school / college to help them study for their exams but nonetheless I found it an extremely interesting read and it spurred me on to buy some more books that were referenced throughout. The main development book is a book on how to read faster.

Whilst I love reading I find it frustrating that my reading speeds seem to have tailed off in the last 5 or 6 years, a trait which is apparently common when you leave full time education. The book I'm working through has self-assessment exercises throughout to help you measure your progress. The first one, which helps you work out your benchmark, encouraged me a bit but also showed me I've got a long way to go! I read at 189wpm, which is about average, although I have a comprehension of 80%, which is above average. The book reckons you can achieve reading speeds of 400 + with really extreme cases where people can read 1,000 + wpm! Can you believe that? Apparently it's all true. That must be pretty weird... I wonder if it takes all the fun out of reading?

I've also joined the gym. I'm currently going as much as I can. I took up an offer highlighted by the Money Saving Expert which I still heartily recommend. The site has a link to a Pruhealth promo scheme where you sign up for Private Healthcare and get free Cannons or JJB gym membership for 6 months! Pruhealth costs around £19 a month so it's quite a deal when most Cannons health clubs are £50 + (I think the Chelmsford one is £60+). I'm trying to get swimming and exercising as much as I can - this year I am determined to surpass the sit up farce of 2006.

Cannons also have an Osteopath, so I might even be able to get my back fixed at last!

5 comments:

Liz said...

Hi Matt - see my posting entitled 'Back to School for Me' I've got a problem when it comes to reading( Soz, don't know how to link the post and haven't time to work it out, which is, in fact part of the problem) Might I borrow that book when you're finished with it please?

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt

Glyn has introduced me to the weird and wonderful of blogging (reading them that is - I wouldn't know how to go about actually starting one). Reading Glyn's blog is the only way Carole or I have any idea what our eldest son is up to!!

Anyway, through his links I have discovered your blog and find it interesting and informative. Thank you



Glyn's Dad




(is that the kind of thing you were after Glyn?)

Anonymous said...

hooray!
you are back.
I've missed reading your blog my friend.
x

Unknown said...

I'm a slow reader.
If you need a reading . . . Yoda, speak to James Grinnell - he's like a machine. He could teach you many things.

Anita said...

Totally not connected with this comment - are you guys doing TMS??? Please do!!!