Thursday, July 13, 2006

About music...

I've decided to conduct an experiment. Normally when I write a blog I am very careful and measured about what I say (and don't say) - but I thought it would be interesting to write a blog as-I-think-it! Thinking out loud so to speak. So I thought I would write it on music - which is one of my greatest loves and favourite talking points...here goes...

Why do I like music? I don't know. I know I like a good groove - well, I like music with a fat beat. Like Chemical Brothers in the olden days - or Propellerheads. But then I also like music with no beat - like, The Planets by Holst and loads of stuff by Tchaikovsky and Bach... to be honest music is really confusing in general. What is the attraction for us?

Have you ever really thought about what music is? Why does it connect with us so well? Why is it so immotive? Isn't it just a string of notes and chords and rhythms? Why is Dm the saddest key? Why does an F maj7 sound so lush? (Well, I think it does) Why does 4/4 keep cropping up again and again?

I love to play guitar - I love turing up my amps and gain and letting it ring and resonate and feedback on forever. Little licks that just have that certain something; it's not about looking good in front of people but just allowing the music to come to life. I suppose that's a defining factor of music...it's art, alive... Music as art needs time for it to make sense - otherwise there's no music; just an overblown orchestra hit of every note coming and spanking you in the face at once. Very uncomfortable!

By the questions still remain - why do I like it? Why do believe in music? I don't know - I'm never going to know. But that doesn't change the fact that music makes my heart race and my hands sweat; music makes me cry on the M25; music makes me furious and inspires me and calls me on.

Life would be monochrome without a soundtrack...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you like it?

Because life would be sooooooooo quiet without it?

Glyn Harries said...

I have a question - what's happening with the grapes?

It's been almost a month and we haven't heard about the grapes.

Matt Leeder said...

Glin (If that's your real name?). I hear you on the whole grape thing and I whole heartedly apologise. The thing is, Grin, I am invariably otherwise engaged on Fridays so always run out of time to blog about my grapes.

Therefore, and you are the first to hear about this Brin, I am going to move Grape Expectations to Wednesday (probably) or something like that.

I can assure you, Brian, that my grapes are swelling to quite a girth and I will proudly present you with a bunch once I have cleft them from their current home.

Anonymous said...

Hey, me again - music, or the style of it, well it's so emotive isn't it?You either hate it or you love it, which is why it's so devisive annabel. It evokes an immediate response, which can so often be misunderstood, bit like people I guess? I like the stuff that makes me soar, Rachmaninov Piano Concerto, Mozart Clarinet Concerto,Laudate Dominum(!),my first experience of worship at ROOTS, listening to my kids singing 'I can sing a Rainbow',Shiny Teeth ( Fairly Odd Parents - Nickolodian). Yeah, life would be dismal without it