Sunday, May 21, 2006

Big Brother? Why bother?

Big Brother needs to go. I am fed up with the annual trash onslaught which I am spoon-fed and forced to endure each time our TV screens display that stupid 'eye' and Davina McCall pregnant with her 15th child...grrr...

I have three issues... firstly, I don't understand how we haven't got bored of it? How are the masses always sucked into the mindless drivel - 14 people either sitting and chatting about nothing or just carrying out another 'shocking' (really?) task which now inevitably always involves 1 or 2 of the group getting rewarded and the others penalised in order to set the house-mates against each other even quicker.

My second issue is morality. Big Brother is morally void; is it me or does it operate in a parallel universe where this level of depravity is acceptable? A place where it's ok to mentally smash confused, broken, self-destructive people to smithereens on national TV... A place where it's ok to accept the application of a person with an uncommon neurological syndrome in order for them to become a ratings winner - public domain fodder to be chewed over for a week or two then eventually spat back out... A place where the freaks, the minority, & the deviants are all exploded together as human guinea pigs. So what if they applied? They probably didn't know any better...

My final issue - the final thing I hate is that Big Brother always demands a response... and in that way I've broken my own code of conduct; I myself have been 'sucked in' and can now consider myself, be default, to be 'involved'. Grrrr! I hate Big Brother!

7 comments:

Tim said...

As a foreigner living in this country, I can’t, for the life of me, figure out the British fascination with this stupid show. As you said, it’s a bunch of people (often) sitting around doing absolutely nothing. I’ve seen it on in the middle of the night and they’ll often be televising these people sleeping. And not sleeping scantily clad, mind you. That I would understand. But just sleeping!

I chalk it up to the fact that there’s nothing in this country open after 6:00. There’s nothing else to do but sit around at home and watch big brother.

Personally I’ve taken the moral route and subscribed to cable. : )

Glyn Harries said...

What concerns me about the depths that BB has managed to reach is that I'm not sure that the producers can be wholly to blame. After all, they're only doing their job - to get more ratings than anyone else. And after a certain amount of trial and error (apparently BB4 was boring because it was so nice) the executives have come to the conclusion that what the public wants is utter depravity. The violence, the sex, the humiliation...all because that's what the public have asked for. Just one of the many blessings of popular culture.

Kirsty said...

meh i just came to the conclusion that I could just sit on my doorstep + watch life go by and it would be as interesting (if not more) than watchin BB (and thats saying something for where i live lol)
no point in watching something that will only give u square eyes eventually lol when you could be taking an 'interest' in what is actually going on around you

Unknown said...

VOTE SHABAZ!

Simon said...

I have taken a stand against it in my house.

NO more will i be wasting my summer watching a rubbish show.

My better half is already deeply into it all.

Last night i decided instead of sitting there being annoyed trying to ignore the TV by messing on the internet, i took my pringles and half-bottle of wine into the spare room to watch a DVD.
Bo Selecta was my choice. i figured if i'm going to watch trash TV i should at least watch some trash that makes me laugh!

ginger luke said...

first series...interesting, a new novel idea
second series - hmm, ok, a bit boring now
third series - oh my days! what are they doing
.....
whatever flipping series were on now - well, no words can describe!

why why why!!! Does society have nothing better to do with its time? There is nothing positive, that i can see that could ever possibly get from the show! Its a low form of entertainment, a characteristic which seems to get more true with each series i feel (so ive heard :-) )
Its just pointless...its awful!!

the lackage of budget as a student renders me fortunate enough to be completely unconnected to the goings on of bb..

no tv, its the way forward!!

Unknown said...

I HEART SEAZER!