Friday, May 26, 2006

Da Vinci must be rolling in his triangular grave

Tonight is a bit special for me for I am in Stockholm, SWEDEN! I feel very special indeed for I am sitting on my bed in my hotel room, I have managed to piggy-back on someone's network and I am blogging! I feel so... so...*pause to identify correct word* cosmopolitan!

Anyway, enough of that. Even though I feel like I'm in the Bourne Identity or something I must concentrate on getting the job done then I must go to sleep...

The other day Chell and I went to see The Da Vinci Code. I haven't blogged about it yet because I wanted to mull it over for a while. At first I didn't feel that my thoughts we straight enough but as time has passed they haven't really straightened. At this point I would love to have the ability and inclination to launch into an all out offensive against the message of the movie. I wish that I was more fired up. I wish I could furiously elucidate and eradicate every little piece of heresy the film covers. I wish, in fact, that I really felt anything at all...

You see, the problem with the Da Vinci Code is it is simply a dull movie. Taken out of the context of the book the plot is slow to unfold, the scripting is weak and cliched, and the acting unfortunately matches up perfectly to the script! By the end of the movie we finally discover ("ooOOooh!") that Jesus was married and ("ooOOooh!") that Mary Magdalene's tomb still exists...but by the time it got there, well, I was more concerned with the fact that my jelly babies had run out.

The film has all the potential of a genuine blockbuster in it's own right, but it seems to have been derailed in a most incredibly lame way... in fact, you get the feeling that if the film had been produced without the notoriety of the book coming first it would have been sniggered at and passed by as 'just another lame church bashing flick' (just like that 'gay Jesus' film someone made a couple of years ago).

The Sun newspaper published a headline asking if The Da Vinci Code marked 'the death of the Catholic Church'? Well, I sincerely doubt that a film this below-par could even deal out a convincing graze on the Pope's aged knee...

No comments: