Monday, May 01, 2006

A couple of ROOTS reflections

Just got home from ROOTS... it was a jolly good weekend; it's definitely spawned many good blog thoughts too!

Firstly, it's amazing how much effort is put into an event which lasts 65 hours (and that includes sleeping time!) It does beg the question 'should it be longer?'. I'm not sure; I suppose the main problem would be finding a week which everyone can make...so that means school holidays. Unfortunately Spring Harvest has the monopoly on Easter so we'd have to find another place in the calendar... or would we? I dunno...all I know is it's very short at the mo

My second thought is a bit more substantial and I'd really like to hear some thoughts on it...

Part A: I spoke to a lady who told me a story about when she met Jeff Lucas (although this story isn't about Mr Lucas nor is it about Star Wars). Apparently she approached Mr Lucas and complimented him on his speaking; which he was very thankful and humble about. She went on to explain a small gripe she had in that some of his stories were very much for 'Christians' and went over the head of her non-Christian husband - she then recounted how she paniced that she'd offended Mr Lucas when he said 'Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was a Christian conference?!' and he moved onto the next person waiting to chat to him...

The first thing I thought was: "Was Lucas right to say that?"

Part B: Chell and I were chatting about the Parklife campsite. We were sad that this year (more than ever before?) there seemed to be a bunch of people who weren't at ROOTS for any decent reason? Drinking and smoking seemingly any time of the day. Random acts of violence and bullying. Thieving. Hormone charged teens (and older) hunting each other down; primal predators and their prey. It felt like an alien world walking through the campsite - certainly not a home from home for a community of God's people...

The first thing I thought was: "So, should we be hardline on rule breaking?"

The next bit: I think these two stories are linked closely; both in the way we think of ROOTS as a conference and the way we discipline and protect it's delegates. I'm not sure what the official stance is on this but my feeling is that ROOTS is a whole lot more about the discipleship and renewal of God's people, and a lot less about evangelism and people who aren't Christians? Maybe I'm wrong but I think Jeff lucas was maybe right to say what he said (Although he clearly misheard the heart that was asking him the question in the first place). Maybe I'm wrong but how about we change tact in the campsite...afterall, what's the point of rules if we don't enforce them? We simply say in the registraion pack, if you break the rules, you'llbe sent home with no refund. Isn't that the way it should work?

I'm sick of a minority who want to take advantage of the multitudes of young people in the army who are opening their lives up to God and wanting to be 'transformed' in their communities. I think as leaders we owe them this?

What do you say? Am I too hardline?

4 comments:

Glyn Harries said...

I guess I agree to an extent but do Christians really suffer discipleship wise as a result of these disruptive non-salvationists? Do the kids who come along feeling completely fired up and ready to recieve from God go away feeling drained and discouraged because they feel the rebels robbed them of that chance?

And on the other hand, I've so many positive stories about cynical non-Christian Salvationists or rebelious hormone-driven teenagers being dragged along and coming away completely transformed and/or converted.

Yes I agree that ROOTS is primarily a discipleship conference but having the cynical and the disruptive along seems to do more good than harm so why not try to cater for them a bit more?

(And I wouldn't have a problem with Jeff Lucas saying what he did if it had come out of a desire to lovingly explain his decisions of who to aim his talks at - not out of a sense of hurt pride which seems to be the case here.)

Will said...

Given that its difficult to know what Lucas was thinking (story is 3rd hand and all) - it sounds to me like he didnt really engage with the lady. Like he shrugged it off and made a flippant comment that he didnt really think about- maybe.

Regarding the campsite issue- I was all ready to say how I think rules are rules and they should be enforced (and I still think that) but now because I'm a sheep I agree with Glyn. You da man Glynn - baa.

Actually, maybe I'm not sure - I think it is reasonable to have some simple ground rules - think the no drinking/smoking thing is probably reasonable given what the event is. Imagine playing football with no rules - wouldn't work would it (children).

This reminds me a little of all the people we lost from t'army for silly little reasons - wrong haircuts, going to football on a sunday, seen in the pub etc. Still a bit torn on this. I like things to be done properly and to ignore the rules devalues them (makes the law an ass - to mention another animal). But on the other hand these things shouldnt get in the way of us loving people.

So, to clarify, and sum up in a slightly clearer way, this is what I think on the matter.

Think I put that well.

Matt Leeder said...

Thanks for your help Will

Anonymous said...

Hi all: Jeff Lucas here. Sorry, but the story isn't true. I was asked about telling Christian stories, and apologised if they were not to this lady's husbands liking, and then explained that I did use Christian stories because this was a Christian conference. The inference of the story is that I was rude and then moved on - which is not the way it was. I was at pains to be kind and concilitary, and it's so frustrating to be misrepresented in this way. Once again the power of the internet to spread gossip makes me groan! Anyway, felt that an explanation would be helpful. Thanks for the opportunity to join the blog for a few seconds to put the record straight. God bless you all.