Saturday, May 13, 2006

The Cutting Edge

Chell and I are visiting our friends Will & Debbie. We do enjoy visiting W&D but as a general rule we know that something eventful and slightly tragic is almost definitely going to happen. For example, last time we visited my car got written off in a car crash on the journey there...the time before we ended up scaling a mountain via a sheer face of loose shale with no harnesses nor ropes and no mobile signal...

Danger is our middle name; but only when we visit Liverpool it would seem.

Today we went out for a walk. Nothing strenuous mind; afterall, Debbie is 7 months pregnant so we weren't going to go mountain climbing...just a simple walk through a forest in Formby, onto the beach and back to the car. However, I managed to start a chain of events that would lead to disaster as soon as I picked up a nice big stick and decided to whittle it into a walking stick (aka Gandalf Staff) with Will's knife...

Whittle - Whittle - Whittle...it was all going well, until we stopped for a rest, I went to take something off Will and stabbed the knife into my staff... it promptly collapsed, scissoring my right index finger and slicing a nice deep rut. Instant blood - instant panic...

Thankfully Will is a doctor and knew exactly what to do (The fact that Will has repaired the mighty Alan Hanson's finger at Southport A&E in the past filled me with confidence). Tissue and pressure was applied and I made it home in one piece.

So, now, the result is I'm here... typing with 1 less finger... not picking my nose...heck, I can't even point with attitude...but I'm alive and there's not a mountain in sight!

8 comments:

Phil said...

keep those precious fingers protected, mate. there's a world out there that still needs to hear the heart and genius of one Matthew Leeder.

Anonymous said...

Surely you should have your hands insured or something...

Will said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Will said...

Previous comment removed following legal advice.

In light of the current culture of litigation I make the following statement:

"As the owner of the accused weapon- may we offer our sincerest condolences to Mr Leeder. However we deny any responsibility for said injury - the blade was used without proper care and attention - allegedly - and as such the owner cannot be accused of negligence or held accountable for any future loss of earnings or quality of life."

9:51 AM

Matt Leeder said...

You are quite the friend Willbert - thankful for your caring and gracious nature. The NHS is in good hands...

--------------------------
Also, Steve, without wishing to sound up-myself...my hands are insured (!) for loss of earnings should something happen to them. (Basically the above blog is record of an ellaborate and painful insurance scam)

Heather's place said...

Oh no! Will you ever be able to play the Mandolin again?

Don't worry - if not, I know a great old lady (orginaly from Burnley but now living not far from here) who could probalby do a session on your next album.

Talking about albums - just enjoying the tracks on electralyte's pages. Must borrow the whole thing from my long haired teenager.

Anonymous said...

No way! I was joking, but now I am stunned into near-silence with the awesome news that I actually know someone who has a body part insured...

...that's cool.

Will said...

Heather - if thats who I think it is your mandolin player is 100 this year! Although the deafness might be a bonus working with electralyte...

(because they're loud - what did you think I meant?)